Monday 5 January 2015

The Bill of Assertive Rights

I recently read an interesting piece on Assertiveness which was itself a rewording from the 1975 Classic by M.J. Smith ""When I say no, I feel guilty". I actually enjoyed the reworded version better and it really provoked a lot of thought for me so I have included it below. Of course too much assertiveness can itself be a manipulation so, as always, use these thoughts with wisdom and kindness.


I have the right to be the judge of what I do and what I think.
I have the right to offer no reasons and excuses for my behaviour.
I have the right not to be responsible for finding solutions to other peoples’ problems.
I have the right to change my mind.
I have the right to make mistakes.
I have the right to say “I don’t know”.
I have the right to make my own decisions.
I have the right to say “I don’t understand”.
I have the right to say “I don’t care”.
I have the right to say no without feeling guilty.
You can buy the M.J. Smith book "When I Say No, I Feel Guilty" on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1zNS3g7  

Or if you want to see the modern Bill of Assertive Rights in another context you can check out this great website This Way Up - a review of which will be coming shortly.


I find this point the most challenging- offering "no reasons and no excuses for my behaviour".  Tell me in the comments which "right" you have most trouble with asserting.

No comments: